Thursday, October 05, 2006

My Family

"Don't ask for a light load - but rather ask for a strong back." - Anonymous

Before I go any further into where my addiction took me next, I would like to talk about my family. If you are suffering with an addiction today there is one thing you should get very clear in your mind - your family is it. They will be the one's to catch you when you fall, they will support you in your most desperate moments. But they will only do it for so long and then they will need to move on with their lives. As addicts we might feel that they have abandoned us, but nothing could be further from the truth. They are trying to survive and while they still love you, they need to look after themselves as well.

My wife though small in stature has a heart as big as the world. Looking back at what she had to live with, the embarrassment, the loss of her home, the loneliness, how could she have stayed for so long. She tells me today that she knew about the good that was inside of me and she believed that in time it would shine through. If your loved one is supporting you today, hug them as often as you can and say thank you twice as much.

My children have a great number of their mother's qualities as well. When I started gambling they were 14, 12, & 10. They were aware of the turmoil I was causing. As they got older they became even more in tune with the devastation that my habit was causing, however at all times they stood by my side. I have ben very lucky in that my children have ben very frank with me when discussing my addiction. They show me strength, courage, love and a belief in me as a person and as their father.

As this story unfolds you will continue to see the role that my wife and my children played in my recovery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home