Sunday, January 28, 2007

Acceptance

"When you are in a state of non-acceptance, it's difficult to learn. A clenched fist cannot receive a gift, and a clenched psyche -- grasped tightly against the reality of what must not be accepted -- cannot easily receive a lesson." - Roger John

The first step in Gamblers Anonymous is accepting the fact that you have lost the ability to gamble like other people. It asks us to admit we have a problem and by doing so we can begin our recovery. Hogwash, I said, the only reason I came here was to appease the people in my life. I am not like the rest of the people in this room, these people have a real problem, they should really get some help. So I stayed for a few meetings and when the pressure at home was gone, my attendance at the meetings was gone as well.

Sound familiar, it took me the better part of nine years to accept the fact that I had a real problem. During that same time, many of my fellow gamblers have climbed that stairs to attend a meeting for someone else, with a clenched psyche -- grasped tightly against the idea that they had a problem. Today, as I continue to attend my meetings, people come and go, unwilling to take that first step, admitting they have a problem. Why is it so difficult to accept this fact, that we are addicted to gambling? Why is it so difficult to look in the mirror and say I have a problem? What are we afraid of losing? How do we think our lives will change? Will we really be worse off than we are today?

Using my life as an example, you be the judge of whether I am worse off today than when I was gambling. Today my finances are in order and I am not afraid to answer the phone for fear that a bill collector may be calling. Today I don't need to lie about my daily activities and constantly have an alibi for my time away from home. Today my mind is clear as I don't have to live with the guilt and shame that my gambling caused me. A good night's sleep has replaced the nightmares and a solid vision for my future has replaced the self-hatred of my past. Today frowns have been replaced by smiles, fear has been replaced by hope, doubt has been replaced by a belief in my abilities and darkness has been replaced by light. Today I look up instead of down, ahead instead of backward and I am energetic instead of tired. My life today is the polar opposite to what it was when I was gambling.

The great thing about this is you can do the same as I have, accept the fact you have a problem. Accept the help that is there for the taking. Accept the freedom that comes with living your life free from gambling. Accept the people who still want to be a part of your life. Accept the person you really are, the person you truly want people to see, the person you used to be. Relax your fist, release the grasp on your psyche, be the best you can be -- be yourself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home