Friday, January 05, 2007

Happy New Year

"After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb." - Nelson Mandela

Sorry I haven't been writing this past few days, but the flu bug knocked me down.

Before I get into focusing on the New Year 2007, let each of us take a moment and reflect on 2006. For me personally, this past year had a number of firsts. It was my first calendar year gamble free. It was my first calendar year smoke free. I returned to Gamblers Anonymous meetings after a long absence. My recovery has moved from dealing with the urge to gamble to dealing with the character defects that caused me to gamble. This past year will serve as a good foundation for me to build my future on. Life continues to teach me, "hurt has given me the capacity to feel happiness, bad times made me appreciate the good ones and what I once thought were my weaknesses are becoming my greatest strengths".(taken from my GA One Day at a Time book)

So, as a compulsive gambler, what are my goals for 2007. Will I let myself dream a little and start thinking of what can be achieved in the future. Will I start a list of "I will do this and this and...." or should I focus on today. No matter what your addiction is, the program teaches us to live "One Day at a Time". Why? Because tomorrow is guaranteed to no man. When we are gambling, tomorrow is always going to be better. We live in a fantasy world, dreaming of what tomorrow will be like, rehashing our mistakes which causes our lives to spiral out of control. Today, I will not fall into that trap.

My goals for 2007 will not be set for a year, or forever, but for today. The program has taught me to focus on today. At the beginning of each new day, if my first goal is not to gamble, the rest of my day will be very fulfilling. By not gambling, I have the ability to look at my life through a completely different set of eyes. I am able to see and experience each gift that is in my life. From my wife, to my children, to my granddaughter, to my family, to my friends and beyond I can enjoy life for the tremendous gift that it is. While it sometimes pains me to think of all that I have wasted, I firmly believe that my excitement for today is clear and vibrant because of all of yesterday's waste. So as you begin 2007, whether you are an addict or not, live for today. For the moment it is all you have. In a moment it will be just a memory. Happy New Day!!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger SAM said...

I've recently come to your blog and read some of your texts, and they seem to touch deep those who read it.

Therefore, if you allow me, I shall keep a link to this place on my blog dedicated to psychology and human rights.

SAM

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home