Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Machine Didn't Do It

"Life is the sum of all your choices." - Albert Camus

When I created this Blog it was my intent to tell my story and then over time deal with a number of issues that compulsive gamblers deal with in their recovery. The saturation of our province with VLT machines is one of those issues. Most compulsive gamblers, in the beginning, are always looking for some one or some thing to blame their difficult situation on. They firmly believe that if you took all those machines out of the province, than their problems would be solved. As always I can only speak for one compulsive gambler, and from where I sit, the problems in my life were created by my choices. The number of machines, whether it be 100 or 10, did not cause my problems, and will definitely not fix my problems.

While I agree that the removal of the VLT machines would make it more difficult for a compulsive gambler to get their fix, the underlying problems within the compulsive gambler would not disappear. My belief is that an addict, regardless of their chosen vice, has certain character problems or life problems, that leads them away from the norm, into a lifestyle that they believe they can control. For me, when I was gambling, I didn't have to deal with life. My gambling environment, was carefully chosen, involved as few people as possible and was under my total control. Or so I thought. The one thing that I couldn't control was the money, if I could have, life would have been perfect. For inside that controlled environment I didn't have to deal with anybody or anything. It wasn't about the machine, it was about running away from reality.

Believing that the removal of VLT machines will solve your problem only guarantees that your problems will continue. An addiction is a serious issue. The quicker you realize this, the quicker you can have a new beginning in your life. Blaming your weaknesses on anything other than your own self only serves to extend the time you have to live with these weaknesses. Standing up and admitting you have a problem, while very difficult, is the first step to a better way of life. Don't get me wrong, nothing will ever be perfect. But I don't think that life is about perfection. Life is about choices. Life will return to each of us exactly what we give it. If you can't give it your best, don't blame it on a machine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home