Sunday, December 03, 2006

Our Actions

"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation or no apology." - Red Auerbach

As I move deeper and deeper into my recovery, my thoughts are becoming more in tune with where I want to go with my life. For reasons beyond my comprehension, my thought process has always been mostly negative, which has lead me to a path of self-distruction. Since my focus has been on trying to change the gambler, as opposed to just trying to quit gambling, I have had steady progress in the development of a positive state of mind. The consequence of this positive state of mind are positive actions.

Before going any further, however, let me make it perfectly clear that this entire process could take the rest of my life. Every day there are challenges to maintaining a positive attitude. Also, you need to consider the fact that my inner most thoughts were developed over a forty plus year period, so changing the person is far more complicated than just saying it is what you want to achieve. I believe that my actions are my responsibility. I believe that my thoughts are also under my control and I can choose to act on them if I wish. The problem that I have is with the actions of others and my response to those actions.

For me to be successful in my abstinence from gambling, I need to maintain a positive attitude and I need to be around people who say what they are doing and do what they are saying. The first goal, of maintaining a positive attitude at all times, is paramount to my abstinence. Everyone can appreciate the fact that when we are in a positive state of mind we are able to move our lives forward in the same positive state. In achieving this goal, my actions will be positive as well. This will benefit not only myself personally, but also my family, my friends and everyone else I encounter on a daily basis.

The second part of this equation is not as simple. Why? Because, just as my actions are a result of my mindset, others people's actions are a result of their mindset. Control of other people's actions is in their hands, not in mine, so therefore I need to be very keen when dealing with other people. I cannot let other people define who I am. I cannot let other people's actions, no matter how inconsiderate they are, control my mindset. The biggest error, however, would be to allow other people's actions to move me away from where it is I want to go in the future. Based on this fact, I have some very important decisions to make about my future. I need to surround myself with like-minded people, whose ultimate goal in life is to improve the quality of their own actions, so as to positively impact on the people that surround them. I believe that it is only by doing this that we can help both ourselves and the people we want to reach out to in our daily affairs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home