Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Past

"What you need to know about the past is that no matter what has happened, it has all worked together to bring you to this very moment. And this is the moment you can choose to make everything new. Right now." - Author Unknown

Sorry folks, but I need to deal with this matter before I continue with my story. Once again, my history has come back to haunt me. My life seems to just move along, uneventful for the most part, than out of nowhere something happens to throw me off track. When this happens, instead of dealing with whatever the issue is about, I seem to allow myself to revert back to my old way of thinking. This pattern has repeated itself far to often and if I fail to harness these flare-ups, eventually one of them will cause me to make a few very poor decisions.

Dr. Wayne Dyer uses the following example in teaching you to deal with your personal history. "When a speedboat zooms across the surface of the water, there's a white foamy froth behind it that's called the wake of the boat. The wake is nothing more than the trail that's left behind." He suggests that " the wake of your life is nothing more than a trail that's left behind you." The wake of a boat cannot move the boat forward, anymore than your personal history can move you forward.

What I need to learn, and I guess what we all need to learn, is that our personal history is nothing more than a reference point. This is one of those lessons that can apply to everyone. If we live in the past, or if we live in the future, we lose something very special, we lose the now. I was halfway through my walk today when I realized that I was concentrating so much on my problem, that I was missing out on a beautiful morning.

Today I have allowed myself to learn a very important lesson. My addiction to gambling, by causing such devastation and personal turmoil, can now be used as a positive instead of a negative. By allowing my Higher Power to deal with these flare-ups, I can concentrate on the important things in my life today. By being vigilant in dealing with these fires in the here and now, I can be very pro-active in dealing with the real issues of today. You and I deserve no less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home