Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Do You Have A Problem

"The chains of habit are generally to small to be felt until they become to strong to be broken. - Samuel Johnson

For the most part we all have habitual tendencies. What we eat for breakfast, our favourite restaurant, the way we dress, the way we position ourselves to sleep, the toothpaste we use, and on and on it goes. The reason it is so difficult to make changes in our society is because of our resistance to interrupt our daily rituals. We ask people to cover their garbage and the uproar that follows is similiar to asking people to only eat on weekends. We are so comfortable in the way we do things that any hint of change creates a negative reaction.

So is it any wonder why an addict has such a difficult time quitting their individual vice. Society looks at an addict and says thank God I am not like them. As they are saying this they perform another habitual exercise in their daily life. As a compulsive gambler, I have acknowledged my weaknesses, and the fact that I am powerless over gambling. Any attempt to gamble will send my life into complete disarray. As a smoker, I also acknowledged my weakness, however with willpower and determination, I was able to quit. Today I use that same willpower and determination to stay clean from gambling. I cannot use the word quit when it comes to gambling, I can only say I will not gamble today.

Each day now is an exercise in change for me. I have made an inventory of my weaknesses and each day I work on making myself stronger. Physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually I try to move myself forward. Some days I fail, some days I take small steps forward, but every day I try. The amazing thing for me is that "change" is good. Changing my weaknesses into strengths enables me to be a little stronger when it comes to my addictions. My recommendation to anyone reading this is to do your own inventory. Take a long, serious and indepth look in the mirror. Seek out those negative habits in your life. If you start working on your weaknesses you will be amazed at your strengths.

Drugs, alcohol, gambling, and smoking are all negative vices and if we cannot abstain from them or control our use of them our lives will become unmanageable. For the addict these are the major vices, however we can also add a host of other traits that cause us both pain and discomfort. To be free from our addiction we need to do more than just quit, we need to change the addict. We need to look deep inside ourselves to find who we really are and who we want to become. I invite each one of you to do the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home