Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Trust

"You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment unless you trust enough." - Frank Crane

Is there any other word that carries with it the weight of the word "trust"? The word is loaded and when you use it to describe an individual, it tells the world what you think of that person. Webster's Dictionary states that trust is "reliance on the character, ability, strength or truth of someone", "placing confidence", "dependence", "faith" - wow, all of this from one five letter word. Have you ever had the trust of someone and lost it? Have you ever lost the trust of someone and regained it? Which was easier?

Due to my past, any number of people have lost their trust in me. When I tried to regain that trust, patience was my enemy. What I needed to do was take the time and make the effort to demonstrate to people that I could be trusted again. Instead, I would become impatient and continue to erode any faith that people still had in me. My needs became more important than those of people I was suppose to love and I was unwilling to make even the smallest sacrifice to regain their confidence in me.

Then, after I quit gambling, the trust that I had placed in someone for many years, was put in doubt. Placed in doubt by me, by my negative thinking, and most likely by a subconscious desire for this person to be more like me. Your mind can actually do this. You can create imaginary events to reinforce your own beliefs. The more you create, the more vivid the events become, before you know it, the imaginary is your new reality. As I put in place the character changes that I felt were required, I began to question all of these mind games that I was playing. I placed myself in the other person's shoes, the person who for hundreds of solid, verifiable reasons, had lost their trust in me, and began to wonder how this person was feeling.

Based on my experiences, today I have a much clearer understanding of the word trust and what is required by people on both sides of this mighty word, to trust and to be trusted. For me, I need to trust myself, I need to believe in my ability to trust and be trusted. The trust of other people can then be regained over time, with patience, understanding and a belief in my own behaviour. The trust that I have in other people will continue to mature over time, as I continue to mature.

A gambling addiction takes more than our money. Quitting gambling requires a great deal more as well. In order to solidify our abstinence we must wake up every day with the belief that we can be a better person than we were yesterday. As our time away from the machine continues to grow, so to must our individual characters continue to grow. Trust that person who is closest to you, trust that person who understands you the best, trust that person who believes in "One Day at a Time", trust that person who looks at you in the mirror, trust yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home