Monday, April 02, 2007

Blame

"I have had more trouble with myself than with any other man I have ever met." - Dwight Lyman Moody

Why blame yourself when it is so easy to blame someone else? Who do you blame? When something happens in your life, due to something you did or didn't do, who or what do you blame it on? Think about this for a few moments. Okay, so you are one of the few people on this planet who actually takes responsibility for your daily activities. Why didn't you do the dishes? Was it because you didn't want to, (which is the truth) or because this person called and then I had to do something else and before I could get that finished .................and on it goes, blaming.

Throughout my gambling days, blaming other people for my own inadequacies was easy. There was a fall guy or gal for everything, nothing was my fault. Even during my short periods of abstinence, someone else was responsible for my failures. Whenever we are challenged about our actions, whenever the truth makes us uncomfortable, we lay blame externally, instead of internally. Why is honesty so difficult? Is it because our society is so accepting? Is it because we never challenge the person laying blame? How can I honestly look in the mirror and state that my actions or inactions today are caused by something that happened thirty years ago? How can I sit here today and fail to accept responsibility for my current status in life?

We do it, we all do it. Every act, every deed, every misdeed, every inaction, every fault, every result, can be, with quick thinking, blamed on the other person, whom ever that may be. I have seen mothers blame babies, wives blame friends, husbands blame work, employers blame money, kids blame other kids and addicts blaming everybody. The bottom line folks is there is only one person to blame. There is only one person responsible for your status in life, right now, today. There is only one person pulling the trigger on the shotgun of your life.

You and only you are in control of your future destination. What you decide to do in the next minute, hour, day, week, month or year, is your choice. If you waste this time, it was your decision. If you use this time to grow as a person, it will be your decision as well. The only thing that you should remember is, the next time you are asked a question, look inward instead of outward for your answer. It is from within, after a long and oft times hurtful battle, that the truest answers will be found. The reason that I have had more trouble with myself than with any other man is because my way was to blame it on the other man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home