Friday, April 06, 2007

Have or Have Not, Are You Counting?

"Do we have what we want and do we want what we have?" - wjg

It is Good Friday, one of those days during the year when a great number of people just stop and reflect on exactly where we are in this wonderful universe. Some people reflect on the religious tones of this special day. Other people sleep late and awake to wonder where do we go from here. Other people, those really busy people, think a great deal about what they want, new toys, new homes, nice holidays and so on. And then there are those who could care less about anything.

When I began my walk this morning I was awe struck by the stillness and serenity of the little street that I live on. It got me thinking about wants and needs, what is it that I want and do I want what I currently have? As those thoughts developed in a still somewhat sleepy mind, I began to realize those things that I currently have in my life and those things that are missing from my life.

What do I have? I woke this morning with my wife by my side, but I know someone who lost his wife at a much to early age. My children are healthy and living in this province, but I know people who are not so lucky. I could see, hear, smell, touch and taste, but I know people who have lost one or more of their senses. I have a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food on my table, but I drive people who are homeless and hungry. I could go for my walk, but I know someone in a wheelchair. I have a beautiful granddaughter, but I know someone who lost their grandchild to a car accident. I have any number of freedoms guaranteed to me because of where I live, but I know that there are people in this world with no freedoms. I awake every morning to a very peaceful setting, but I know there are people who awake to the noise of tanks and gunfire in their neighbourhood. What do I have, just about everything a human being could ask for.

What is missing in my life? Cancer, multiple sclerosis, parkinsons, heart disease, strokes, chronic pain, kidney failure, diabetes, any number of crippling diseases, etc. etc., but I drive people who are living daily with these and many other chronic health problems. Smoking, gambling, drinking and drugs, but I drive people who are suffering from each of these vices. Physical, mental and emotional abuse, but I drive people who cannot free themselves from these issues. On this Good Friday I pray that these things that are missing from my life continue to remain on the missing list.

There are many, many occasions when I wish that I never had started driving a taxi. However, if you would like to have an open window on the real world, drive a taxi for a week or two. People step aboard my taxi every day, living with every conceivable emotion that you can imagine. I get to witness the real world, up close and personal. Everyday people, relating everyday stories, to a taxi driver who is very thankful for everything I have and just as thankful for everything that is missing.

Happy Easter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home