Monday, April 09, 2007

The Next Step

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawad

Is it coincidence or faith? When a string of events happen that get you thinking about your life in a particular way, were they meant to be this way or are you seeing what you want to see. For months on end now, I have been moving very slowly, but steadily towards a yet undetermined goal. As you can probably guess from reading this blog, there are still many issues in my life that cause me to question what I am doing and where I am going. Whether it is because of my past or because of my fear of failure, there is definitely too much caution in my life today, which brings me to the events of the past few days.

On Sunday evening I found the quote which is at the top of this page. For some strange reason it really stuck with me and on Monday I tried to write a blog entry using this quote, but I found that the context of my writing just didn't fit with what I believe this quote was telling me. Then my sister phoned to tell me my uncle had passed away. While we hadn't been close in the past few years, there was a time when my kids were younger that we would spend a great deal of time camping together. I remember those days very fondly and I remember what a kind and gentle man my uncle was.

On Tuesday the call came that my Dad was at the hospital. Thankfully his illness is not too serious and he should be back home in a few days. As I sat with Dad for a little while last night, my thoughts took me back to those days in the park, with my uncle and his wife, my Dad and Mom, my wife and kids and anyone else who happened by during our stay. They were definitely some of the best times in my life and as I looked at Dad, just maybe they were some of the best times in his life as well. I thought how lonely he must be now, since Mom passed away, and what does the rest of his life hold in store for him as he approaches his 84th birthday.

Then as I lay in bed last night, it struck me, the journey, all along I have been missing the journey. My focus has either been on my past or my future. Instead of living life and accepting everything it involves, I have spent my time trying to design my life, every detail, every emotion, every thought. I realize now that the time has come to accept my life as my own, no apologies or no excuses. What is done is done. Anything that happens in the future belongs to me, no more trying to control people, no more leaning posts, no more blame, inward or outward. My life, my responsibility, some mistakes, some failures, some successes. The amazing journey of choosing the quality of your own life. My life, God's gift, thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home