Monday, April 23, 2007

Play It As It Lies

"Golf is like solitaire, when you cheat, you cheat only yourself." - Tony Lema

It definitely can be said that "Life is like solitaire, when you cheat life, you cheat only yourself" because I have no doubt that whenever you attempt to make two wrongs equal a right it never works. There is a saying in golf "play it as it lies", meaning you have to play the ball where it comes to rest. If you move the ball you have to take a penalty stroke. After the events of the past few days it is becoming very apparent to me that we have to live life as we find it as well. When we awake in the morning we have no idea what we will have to deal with before the sun goes down, the only certainty is that whatever happens we have no choice but to accept.

Let me deal with the first issue of cheating yourself. I have spent the past few years tinkering with my character, addressing certain issues from my past and trying to motivate myself to be better and to do more. All along I have been ignoring an issue from my past that eventually would have to be dealt with. I wasn't cheating so much as I was being ignorant to the harm that this issue could do to both myself and my family. A little over a month ago I even tried to address this issue and get it settled once and for all. Well, this past Thursday it came home to roost, and now I am left with no choice but to place it front and center in my life. To say that the timing could not have been worse, would be a definite understatement.

The second issue of dealing with life as it unfolds, also left me numb and alone this past week. I lost a very special person in my life a week ago today. Though we had our battles, I had a tremendous respect for this man. What is good in my life today, I learned from him, and while I should have visited him far more often, there was a definite security in knowing that he was only a phone call away. As I write this entry, there is a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye, but I am consoled in the knowledge that he would want me to face these challenges, with honesty and integrity.

Two weeks ago, my life was wonderful, I was happy, my wife and children were doing fine, my future looked very bright. Today, I sit here feeling very alone, an empty, hurting pain deep in my soul. But in life, as in golf, we have to play the ball as we find it, to do otherwise, would be cheating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home