Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Faith

"The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply that they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings." - J. M. Barrie

What keeps you going through difficult and challenging times? What motivates you to awake with the optimism that everything will be okay? History or Faith? History, knowing that you done it before, when your outlook on life was bleak. Or Faith, knowing that you have worked very hard to get to where you are today, and while life will always be filled with struggles, your faith in people and in life, will keep you strong.

My life has been one event after another. Just when you believe that nothing else could go wrong, it goes wrong, and you are left hanging on to whatever is left behind. Then you pray that what used to be, can return, and tomorrow your life will be as it was, as though nothing had ever happened. The problem with all of this is that, the problems belong to me, they are my responsibility, but other people are getting hurt. You try to convince yourself that your relationships can withstand this type of pain, but can they? Can you?

Since the beginning of my recovery, my belief has been that this gambling addiction was not going to win. No matter what happened within my daily life, my faith has been strong. My strongest belief has been that if my abstinence remains in place, if my belief in "One Day at a Time" continues to get stronger, than at the end of the day I can lay my head on the pillow believing that tomorrow will be an even better day. The ghosts of days gone by have come back to haunt me this past two weeks, but thank God my faith has kept me strong.

No matter your struggle - believe that you can fly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home