Thursday, May 10, 2007

Like Nike, Just Do It

"To cease smoking is the easiest thing I ever did. I ought to know, because I've done it a thousand times." - Mark Twain

Now that things in my life have begun to make sense and I have been able to look at everything in a new perspective, the time has come to get back to what I promised when I started this blog. In the beginning it was my intent to reach out to as many people as possible regarding addictions, most notably gambling and smoking. To date I have written nothing about quitting smoking, even though I have over twenty months smoke free under my belt.

Just like the quote at the top of the page, I must have quit smoking a thousand times. Most smokers do. From where I sit, there in lies the problem. We spend the majority of time thinking about quitting or trying to quit. We increase our anxiety levels, we create excuses, we always leave a door open in case we fail, in reality we are doomed to fail before we even make the commitment to quit. I believe you need to quit first and then deal with the issues as they arise.

First you need to have a real desire to quit smoking. Quitting has to be for you, no one else. Many people may benefit because you quit, but the motivation has to be from you, the smoker. Once you quit, there is really only one obstacle, you. That is why it is best to employ the "kiss" system - "keep it simple, stupid". Drink lots of water, stay focused on your goal, only worry about today, remind yourself of the positives, get plenty of fresh air and begin immediately to enjoy the benefits of being smoke free.

Your clothes don't stink, you don't have to isolate yourself from the crowd anymore so you can have a smoke, you have more disposable income, in very short order you will begin to feel better, and your overall outlook on life will definitely improve. There is not one negative thing that happens when you quit smoking, everything about quitting is positive.

By the way, you will have cravings. After twenty months, there are still times when the urge strikes me, but unlike before, I use the urge as a positive, by reminding myself about the good in my life since I quit smoking. Nothing good in life is easy, if it was every person would do it. I live my life today with hope, optimism, love, joy, peace and patience. I am able to do this because I have accepted responsibility for my problems, made and kept my commitment to change, I try and maintain an understanding for another person's opinion, I accept life for both the highs and the lows, while always staying in touch with my Higher Power.

Like any other addiction, smoking is personal, quitting is just as personal. Good Luck!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home