Thursday, July 19, 2007

Your Life

"We generate our own environment. We get exactly what we deserve. How can we resent a life we've created ourselves? Who's to blame, who's to credit but us? Who can change it, anytime we wish, but us?" - Richard Bach

My life has changed dramatically in the past two years. The gambling environment that controlled my life for nearly ten years is now a memory, a painful memory. The environment that I choose to reside in today is more healthier, more challenging, more rewarding, more loving, has more faith, more hope, more trust and more opportunity. Just as I take full responsibility for generating the gambling environment, I also take credit for the new environment that I enjoy today.

Where ever you are at this moment in time, your choices and your decisions placed you there. If you are not happy in your life today, a new set of choices and a new set of decisions can change a portion of your life or your entire life, whichever you choose. Blaming others for your current situation does nothing but solidify your belief that someone else is responsible for your life. You cannot claim to be an adult, free to make your own set of choices, without accepting responsibility for those choices and the consequences they bring into your life, positive or negative. Your life is a product made up of your ingredients, your input, your direction.

If this makes you feel a little hopeless or if you feel the mountain is to big to climb, remember this - "no matter how dark the night, there is always the dawn, no matter how strong the storm, there will always be the calm". By placing a little faith in yourself and a great deal of trust in your Higher Power, nothing is impossible. This world is full of examples of people who made adjustments in their decision making ability and took a chance that a positive decision would produce a positive result.

Two years ago, this month, I made the decision to stop gambling for one day. At the time I wasn't capable of doing anything else. The only thing I could promise myself and the people I loved was for that day I wouldn't gamble. Each new day, I would make that same commitment, always to myself. Before long, days turned into weeks and weeks into months. This new gamble free environment permitted me to make other positive choices, because now my mind was free to think about the good things in my life. No longer was I bound by the chains of a VLT machine. One decision, for just one day, a very short twenty-four hours, has altered my life far more then I could have ever hoped for, surely you could try it for one day.

Recently my wife gave me a book that has the following quote, read it, trust it, believe in yourself and the power of the human spirit.

"No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond
the course of what others have had to face. All you
need to remember is that God will never let you
down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit;
he'll always be there to help you come through it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home