Friday, June 22, 2007

Understanding An Addict - Part III

"Love isn't finding a perfect person. It's seeing an imperfect person perfectly." - Sam Keen

My final thoughts surrounding this subject relate to the "what if" something happens during a person's recovery to send them back to their respective addiction. Who do they turn to? Who does their loved ones turn to? Can their love be strong enough to forgive again? Can the addict muster the courage to start all over again?

As an addict, one of my biggest fears is this happening to me. Once you begin climbing this mountain of recovery, knowing that you will never see the top, but always aware that you could see the bottom again, you quiver at the very thought of this happening to you. Without a doubt, I am confident that in the sub-conscious minds of our loved ones, those very thoughts make for an occasional uneasy night's sleep.

My belief is that we need to understand that we are all imperfect. We all can use a little adjustment in our lives from time to time. Every person needs love, needs to be held, needs the knowledge of someone who cares, truly cares about them and their well-being. For me, personally, love is a very important word. Love is symbolic of the guidance I have received from my Higher Power, it is symbolic of the forgiveness I have been afforded by the special people in my life, it is symbolic of the hope I have in my future, it is symbolic of the freedom I feel in my soul.

The answers to the questions I posed are not easy. Looking forward, one may say what they would do, but until that dreadful day arrives, none of us, not the addict or the victim can truly say how they will react. My hope for the addict would be that they once again turn to their loved ones and find the courage to start over again. My hope for the loved ones is that they turn to the addict and find the love to forgive again. Failing all of this my hope would be that we all turn to the person who has forgiven everything in our past and will continue to forgive everything in our future.

Maybe after all is said there is not a disconnect between an addict and a non-addict. In reality our lives are entwined and our goals are identical. We have the same objectives, we have the same fears, we have access to the same answers, we are climbing the same mountain, we are in love with each other, we believe in the same Power, we have felt the same pain, we have cried together, laughed together, hoped together, dreamed together, how can we not succeed?

All we need to do is "see the imperfect person perfectly".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home